Benefits Coordinator (Knoxville)
Summary: Act as a liaison between employees and benefits companies assisting in the coordination and administration of benefits programs for the organization including health insurance, vision insurance dental insurance, flexible benefits, ancillary benefits, retirement plan, employee assistance program, and etc.
ESSENTIAL TASKS (These are intended only as illustrations of the various types of work performed. The omission of specific duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related, or a logical assignment to the position.)
- Answer a large volume of telephone inquiries. Answer benefit questions, researches specific questions, and responds verbally or in writing as necessary. Receive, review, and process benefits enrollments. Provide standard answers to routine customer inquiries regarding employment, benefits, compensation, training and all other HR related issues.
- Provide consistent and courteous service to all customers in a timely and comprehensive manner.
- Responsible for learning and understanding all benefit plan rules and regulations. Must be able to determine enrollee eligibility as appropriate for each plan.
- Serve as liaison between CHS employees and benefits companies; resolve claim problems as necessary as assigned by Plan Administrator.
- Communicate with representatives from health/dental insurance companies to discuss benefits/claims issues as the Plan Administrator deems appropriate.
- Perform all daily tasks required for maintaining the health/dental insurance, flexible benefits, ancillary benefits, retirement, and employee assistance programs.
- Review, code, enter, process and audit all benefit enrollments, changes and terminations in a timely, accurate manner within the framework of applicable plan rules, processes, contracts, eligibility/enrollment periods, and Tennessee State Statutes.
- Enforce health insurance court orders. Assist with the completion of insurance verification requests from employees or outside sources.
- Assists with preparation of letters/notices regarding benefit information to employees retiring and terminating employment, losing eligibility, open enrollment notices, etc.
- Work closely with billing and payroll to ensure that levels of coverage for all employees on benefits plan is accurate.
- Audits benefit transactions and coding including COBRA report. Assists with invoice reconciliation.
- Prepare yearly DataMatch report (Medicare) for employees.
- Coordinate annual open enrollment for health, dental, flexible benefits and ancillary benefits as deemed as instructed by Plan Administrator for CHS employees.
- Coordinate and complete special projects as necessary.
- Provide assistance to the Plan Administrator/VP of Human Resources:
- Assists with benefit materials for new employees
- Assists in creating new employee Orientation Packets
- Assists with letters: enrollment, termination, verification of employment/income/insurance
- Assists with filing of Worker’s Compensation Claims
- May conduct or assist with benefit orientation sessions. (open enrollment, new hire orientation, etc.)
- May assist VP with reporting: EEO-1, Veteran’s reporting, benefit cost trend, etc.
Education & Experience: Bachelor’s degree in related field; previous experience in human resource function preferred.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
Thorough knowledge of benefit terminology, federal/state laws; thorough knowledge of standard office procedures, practices and equipment; general knowledge of accounting principles and related data processing equipment; ability to understand and follow oral and written directions; ability to establish and follow detailed work procedures; ability to input and to perform mathematical computations with speed and accuracy; communication skills for relaying information with tact and diplomacy; ability to apply microcomputer skills to software packages for complex tasks; ability of attention to detail.
Licenses: Must maintain a valid TN driver’s license and must have a clean driving record.
Some travel will be required.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to use hands to fingers, handle, feel, talk, and hear. The employee is frequently required to walk and sit. The employee is frequently required to reach with hands and arms, stoop, and kneel. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, and ability to adjust focus.
CHS is an EEO Employer