Child Development Specialist (Hamblen Co.)
Locations: Hamblen County
Summary: By utilizing a team based model, the CDS provides comprehensive behavioral health services to children from Kindergarten through Third Grade (K-3) in a school setting. Activities including but are not limited to mental health education, early identification and intervention, teacher consultation, and school climate enhancement
Responsibilities: Include the following.
- Identify and refer for treatment children with potential mental health conditions or serious emotional disturbance (SED)
- Provides consultation to teachers and school staff including but not limited to aides, guidance counselors, principals, and librarians about cases, programs, or general behavior management
- Enhance awareness of and capacity for response of school personnel to children’s mental health needs, including mental health coaching and consultation
- Provide classroom programming to help children in the development of effective coping skills to deal with normative developmental crises
- Promote cooperation and coordination between schools, families, and community mental health service providers
- Enhance the school’s mental health climate through activities which enhance and/or promote positive transactions within the school community, positive attitudes, empathy, community responsibility, or wellness concepts.
- Refers, with parent permission, children identified with potential SED or mental health condition to appropriate community mental health services, resource networking, and provide individual and/or group support where appropriate
- Documents all activities related to the above service expectations and maintains program data as required in program guidelines including student roster, classroom activity schedule, classroom curriculum, school climate activity plans, and record system
- Acts as a liaison between child, family, school and Cherokee Health Systems B.A.S.I.C staff.
- Provides educational materials or resources to parent, teacher, or child.
- Other duties as assigned.
Education & Experience:
Bachelor’s degree in Child Development or Psychology or related field or equivalent combination of education and experience. Must have experience working with children
Must possess the ability to communicate verbally and non-verbally with clients, coworkers, and members of management. Excellent professional customer service skills required.
To perform this job successfully, an individual should have knowledge of Work Processing software, Electronic Medical Records software, and Spreadsheet design software.
CHS is an EEO Employer