Dental Hygienist (Knoxville)
SUMMARY: Performs dental measures designed to preserve teeth and prevent the spread of oral disease by utilizing a team based model and performing the following duties.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities include the following:
- Cleans calcareous deposits, accretions, and stains from teeth and beneath margins of gums.
- Feel lymph nodes under patient's chin to detect swelling or tenderness that could indicate presence of oral cancer.
- Feels and visually examines gums for sores and signs of disease.
- Examines gums to locate periodontal recessed gums and signs of gum disease.
- Applies fluorides and other cavity preventing agents to arrest dental decay.
- Charts conditions of decay and disease for diagnosis and treatment by dentist.
- Exposes and develops x-ray film.
- Makes impressions for study casts.
- Removes sutures and dressings.
- Administers local anesthetic agents.
- Places and removes rubber dams, matrices, and temporary restorations.
- Places, carves, and finishes amalgam restorations.
- Removes excess cement from coronal surfaces of teeth.
- Provides clinical services and health education to improve and maintain oral health of school children.
- Conducts dental health clinics for community groups to augment services of dentist.
- Participates in Quality Improvement (QI), Quality Assurance (QA) and Continuous Quality Improvement Activities (CQI) as appropriate.
- Other duties may be assigned.
- Education/Experience: Associates degree or higher from Dental Hygiene program at an accredited college or university; or one to two years related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Communication/Language Skills: Ability to read, analyze, and interpret general business periodicals, professional journals, technical procedures, or governmental regulations. Ability to write reports, business correspondence, and procedure manuals. Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from groups of managers, clients, customers, and the general public.
- Computer Skills: To perform this job successfully, an individual should have knowledge of Work Processing software, Electronic Medical Records software and Spreadsheet design software.
- Certificates and Licenses: Must be licensed in the state of Tennessee as Dental Hygienist.
CHS is an EEO Employer