Licensed Practical Nurse LPN - (Grainger Co./Bean Station)
Location: (Grainger Co./Bean Station)
Summary: Provides general nursing care to patients in the outpatient integrated clinical setting by utilizing a team based model.
Responsibilities: Include the following.
The following duties are normal for this job. These are not to be construed as exclusive or all-inclusive. Other duties may be required and assigned.
- Completes all direct nursing care “due” at the time of patient visit to ensure 100 percent compliance, under the supervision of the physician or nurse practitioner.
- Escorts patients throughout facility, interviews patients to obtain appropriate medical information / history, and measures vital signs- includes such items as pain assessment, pulse rate, temperature, blood pressure, height, and weight; records information on patients’ electronic medical records. Reports summary of patient visit to physician or nurse practitioner as necessary.
- Interviews patient to determine medical problem or condition and document in chart for physician.
- Obtains and records patient’s vital signs and weight.
- Assists physician with patient examination as needed.
- Reviews physician’s orders, lab requests, or follow up needs with patient.
- Documents services performed for billing purposes.
- Observes patients and reports adverse reactions to medication or treatment to medical personnel in charge.
- Administers specified medication, orally or by subcutaneous or intramuscular injection, and notes time and amount on patient’s charts.
- Initiates a patient education plan, including patient and family instruction, according to the individualized needs of the patient as prescribed by Physician
- Performs laboratory tests as ordered by the nurse practitioner.
- Sterilizes equipment and supplies.
- Maintains supplies, including stocking and ordering new supplies and disposing of expired or damaged supplies.
- Responds to patient telephone triages.
- Follows up with patients who miss appointments.
- Follows up with patients on lab results, including the scheduling of any additional tests.
- Coordinates referrals for patients through insurance and other physician offices.
- Participates in Quality Improvement (QI), Quality Assurance (QA) and Continuous Quality Improvement Activities (CQI) as appropriate.
- Under the direction of the provider, executes standing orders to assure preventive, chronic, diagnostic and medication needs of the patient are met; facilitates the highest quality of care and efficient patient flow in a team based care environment.
- Other duties as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Knowledge of medical terminology, anatomy, physiology, and pathophysiology. Familiarity with health care systems, regulations, policies, and functions. Understanding of documentation standards.
- Knowledge of equipment, supplies, and materials needed for medical treatment. Understanding of basic laboratory procedures including preparation and screening.
- Knowledge of infectious disease management and control and safety standards.
- Skill in reading and following written and oral medical orders.
- Skill in initiating appropriate emergency procedures.
- Skill in handling a number of tasks simultaneously.
- Skill in performing blood draws.
- Ability to use manual dexterity to perform medical treatments.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with coworkers and diverse patient populations.
- Ability to perform mathematical calculations for drug dosages.
This job description is not an employment agreement or contract. Management has the exclusive right to alter this job description at any time without notice.
To perform this job successfully, an individual should have knowledge of Word Processing software, Electronic Medical Records software and Spreadsheet design software.
Education & Experience:
Diploma from technical program or one to two years related experience and/or training or combination of education and experience.
Certificates and Licenses:
Licensed Practical Nurse in Tennessee.
Certification in CPR and OSHA training;
Current, unexpired TN Driver’s License with clean driving history (if applicable- some jobs may not require to work at multiple locations).
Cherokee Health System is an Equal Opportunity Employer. In compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act, the Organization may provide reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with disabilities and encourages both prospective and current employees to discuss potential accommodations with the employer.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
Physical Demands and Work Environment:
- Work may require long and irregular hours, and under pressure conditions.
- May be exposed to communicable diseases.
- Work is performed indoors in a heated and air conditioned office setting
- Clinic may be crowded and noisy at times.
- Usual clinic functions, which may require physical tasks such as: frequent lifting
- materials and/or patients up to 20 pounds and up to 50 pounds infrequently
- Requires standing and/or walking for long hours.
- Requires ability to distinguish between letters, numbers and symbols.
- Requires a normal range of vision.
- Requires awareness of personal limitations and flexibility.
- Risk may include some exposure to hazardous materials.