Licensed Practical Nurse/School Based LPN - (Shelby Co./Memphis)
SCHOOL BASED LPN
Location: (Shelby Co./Memphis)
SUMMARY: Utilizing a team-based model, provides general nursing care to students in a school and/or clinic setting. Collaborates closely with the clinic team in care coordination for students and families.
RESPONSIBILITIES Include the following:
The following duties are normal for this job. These are not to be construed as exclusive or all-inclusive. Other duties may be required and assigned.
- Completes all direct nursing care “due” at the time of patient visit to ensure 100 percent compliance, under the supervision of the physician or nurse practitioner.
- Escorts patients throughout facility, interviews patients to obtain appropriate medical information / history, and measures vital signs- includes such items as pain assessment, pulse rate, temperature, blood pressure, height, and weight, records information on patients’ electronic medical records. Reports summary of patient visit to physician or nurse practitioner as necessary.
- Assures efficient and organized workflow of all tasks associated with providing clinical services to patients.
- Fosters good working relationships with school staff and administration.
- Makes presentations at community/school meetings as needed.
- Develops/presents educational materials in individual & group settings.
- Assures clinic compliance with VFC and CLIA regulations.
- Assures adequate staffing and coordinates duties with other nursing staff as needed.
- Supports clinical activities in CHS clinic during school closure or as directed by supervisor.
- Assures that clinic supplies are maintained; stocks and orders new supplies and disposes of expired or damaged supplies.
- Administers prescribed medications and treatments in accordance with approved nursing techniques under the orders of the physician or nurse practitioner.
- Prepares equipment and aids provider (e.g. Physician, NP, PA) during treatment and examination of patient.
- Maintains awareness of comfort and safety needs of patient.
- Observes patient, records significant conditions and reactions, and notifies supervisor or Physician of patient's condition and reaction to drugs, treatments, and significant incidents.
- Takes and records temperature, pulse, blood pressure, and other vital signs to detect deviations from normal and assess condition of patient.
- Documents nursing history and physical assessment for assigned patients.
- Reviews provider’s (Physician/NP, PA) orders, lab requests, or any other follow-up needs with patient, including the scheduling of any additional tests.
- Responds to patient telephone triages.
- Participates in Quality Improvement (QI), Quality Assurance (QA) and Continuous Quality Improvement Activities (CQI) as appropriate.
- Other duties as assigned.
• Adhere to dress code, appearance is neat and clean.
• Complete annual education requirements.
• Always maintain patient confidentiality.
• Report to work on time and as scheduled. Consistent and regular attendance is an essential function of this position.
• Wear identification while on duty.
• Maintain regulatory requirements, including all state, federal and local regulations.
• Always represent the organization in a positive and professional manner.
• Comply with all organizational policies and standards regarding ethical business practices.
• Participate in performance improvement and continuous quality improvement activities.
• Attend regular staff meetings and in-services as needed.
- Math Ability: Ability to perform mathematical calculations for medication and vaccine dosages.
- Computer Skills: To perform this job successfully, an individual should have knowledge of Word Processing software.
TN licensed as a Registered Nurse or Licensed Practical Nurse with minimum three years of practical experience preferred.
Certificates & Licenses:
Licensed: Registered Nurse or Licensed Practical Nurse with State of Tennessee. Maintain professional license.
Certification in CPR and OSHA training.
Current, unexpired TN Driver’s License with clean driving history (if applicable- some jobs may not require working at multiple locations).
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Knowledge of medical terminology, anatomy, physiology, and pathophysiology. Familiarity with health care systems, regulations, policies, and functions. Understanding of documentation standards.
- Knowledge of equipment, supplies, and materials needed for medical treatment. Understanding of basic laboratory procedures including preparation and screening.
- Knowledge of infectious disease management and control and safety standards
- Skill in reading and following written and oral medical orders.
- Skill in initiating appropriate emergency procedures.
- Skill in handling a number of tasks simultaneously.
- Skill in performing blood draws.
- Ability to use manual dexterity to perform medical treatments.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with coworkers and diverse patient populations.
- Ability to perform mathematical calculations for drug dosages.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
Physical Demands and Work Environment:
- Work may require long and irregular hours and under pressure conditions
- May be exposed to communicable diseases.
- Work is performed indoors in a heated and air-conditioned office setting
- Clinic may be crowded and noisy at times.
- Usual clinic functions, which may require physical tasks such as: frequent lifting materials and/or patients up to 20 pounds and up to 50 pounds infrequently.
- Requires standing and/or walking for long hours.
- Requires ability to distinguish between letters, numbers, and symbols.
- Requires a normal range of vision.
- Requires awareness of personal limitations and flexibility.
- Risk may include some exposure to hazardous materials.
- Ability to perform mathematical calculations for medication and vaccine dosages.
This job description is not an employment agreement or contract. Management has the exclusive right to alter this job description at any time without notice.
Cherokee Health Systems provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, gender identity, sexual orientation, or genetics.