Medical Assistant Level 1 (Englewood/McMinn Co.)
MEDICAL ASSISTANT Level 1
Location: (Englewood/McMinn Co.)
Summary: Assists in examination and treatment of patients under direction of Physician or Nurse Practitioner by utilizing a team-based model and performing the following duties:
Responsibilities: Include the following.
The following duties are normal for this job. These are not to be construed as exclusive or all-inclusive. Other duties may be required and assigned.
- Completes all direct clinical care of a patient visit to ensure 100 percent compliance, under the supervision of the physician or nurse practitioner.
- Escorts patients throughout facility, interviews patients to obtain appropriate medical information / history, and measures vital signs- includes such items as pain assessment, pulse rate, temperature, blood pressure, height, and weight and records information on patient’s electronic medical record. Reports summary of patient visit to physician or nurse practitioner as necessary via a warm handoff.
- Obtains samples and Performs inhouse CLIA approved testing upon medical provider’s request when needed.
- Prepares treatment rooms for examination of patients.
- Hands instruments and materials to provider (Physician, NP, PA) as directed.
- Cleans and sterilizes instruments using Autoclave.
- Monitors Inventory supplies noting low par levels and informing order designee of any supply needs.
- Administers routine diagnostic test or calls medical facility or department to schedule patients for tests.
- Obtains pre-certifications from insurance providers for special procedures when needed.
- Administers prescribed medications and treatments under the orders of the physician or nurse practitioner within scope of training/competency.
- Prepares equipment and aids Physician or Nurse Practitioner during treatment and examination of patient.
- Maintains awareness of comfort and safety needs of patient.
- Reviews provider’s (Physician, NP, PA) orders, lab requests, or any other follow-up needs with patient, including the scheduling of any additional tests.
- Participates in Quality Improvement (QI), Quality Assurance (QA) and Continuous Quality Improvement Activities (CQI) as appropriate
- Other duties as assigned.
Education & Experience:
High School diploma or equivalent required.
Completion from a Medical Assistant Program preferred.
Certificates and Licenses:
Medical Assistant Certification preferred, but not required.
Certification in CPR and OSHA training.
Current, unexpired TN Driver’s License with clean driving history (if applicable- some jobs may not require working at multiple locations).
Computer Skills: To perform this job successfully, an individual should have computer skills and accuracy with data entry. Must be able to utilize EMR systems
Knowledge, Skills, and abilities:
- Knowledge of medical terminology, anatomy, physiology, and pathophysiology. Familiarity with health care systems, regulations, policies, and functions. Understanding of documentation standards.
- Knowledge of equipment, supplies, and materials needed for medical treatment. Understanding of basic laboratory procedures including preparation and screening.
- Knowledge of infectious disease management and control and safety standards.
- Skill in reading and following written and oral medical orders.
- Skill in initiating appropriate emergency procedures.
- Skill in handling a number of tasks simultaneously.
- Skill in performing blood draws.
- Ability to use manual dexterity to perform medical treatments.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with coworkers and diverse patient populations.
- Ability to perform mathematical calculations for drug dosages.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
Physical Demands and Work Environment:
- Work may require long and irregular hours and under pressure conditions
- May be exposed to communicable diseases.
- Work is performed indoors in a heated and air-conditioned office setting
- Clinic may be crowded and noisy at times.
- Usual clinic functions, which may require physical tasks such as: frequent lifting materials and/or patients up to 20 pounds and up to 50 pounds infrequently.
- Requires standing and/or walking for long hours.
- Requires ability to distinguish between letters, numbers, and symbols.
- Requires a normal range of vision.
- Requires awareness of personal limitations and flexibility.
- Risk may include some exposure to hazardous materials.
- Ability to perform mathematical calculations for medication and vaccine dosages.
This job description is not an employment agreement or contract. Management has the exclusive right to alter this job description at any time without notice.
Cherokee Health Systems provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, gender identity, sexual orientation, or genetics.