Location: Morristown, TN
RESPONSIBILITIES include the following:
The following duties are normal for this job. These are not to be construed as exclusive or all-inclusive. Other duties may be required and assigned.
- Extract relevant information from patient records and assign appropriate, current, and active ICD-10-CM diagnosis codes and CPT procedure codes
- Ensure codes are accurate and sequenced correctly in accordance with government and payer regulations
- Maximizing RAF scores by assigning HCC codes at the highest possible level based on available clinical documentation
- Act as liaison with medical and behavioral providers and other parties to clarify documentation as needed
- Communicate with other clinical staff regarding clinical documentation
- Research information when coding is complex or unusual
- Perform chart audits to ensure accuracy and completeness of documentation
- Assist in advising and training of providers and staff on medical coding and documentation
- Ensure compliance with medical coding policies and guidelines
- Meet daily productivity and accuracy standards
- Maintain certifications and stay abreast of coding guidelines and changes
- Other duties as assigned
- Healthcare experience required, preferably in outpatient primary care setting(s)
- Associate degree in Health Information Management, Health Information Technology, or similar field; or Coding Certificate from an accredited school preferred
- Coding certification preferred from AHIMA, AAPC, NHA or other relevant certification organization; or 2 to 3 years of previous coding experience
- Experience with RAF/HCC coding preferred
- Strong computer skills, particularly competence in EHR platforms
- Cultural sensitivity and competence for our patient population
- Excellent organizational skills and ability to manage and prioritize multiple tasks
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to work as a team member and work effectively with diverse groups and individuals
- Ability to work with minimal supervision and maximum accountability
- Ability to problem-solve and work independently and collaboratively as a member of a team
- Strong analytical skills.
This job description is not an employment agreement or contract. Management has the exclusive right to alter this job description at any time without notice.
Cherokee Health Systems provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, gender identity, sexual orientation, or genetics.