Patient Services Representative (Memphis, Knoxville)
SUMMARY (Full-time/40 hours per week)
Provides support with the daily activities of a medical office in order to provide the best in patient care. This will include filing, telephone coverage, appointment scheduling, registration, and patient referrals by utilizing a team based model and performing the following duties:
- Primary responsibility is to assist patients in accessing care.
- Greets patients in a friendly, courteous and professional manner. Assists with completion of admission paperwork.
- Verifies medical insurance coverage, verifies income to check for qualification of the sliding fee discount; Primary Care Provider assignment; co-pays/deductibles and enters this information into the computer.
- Answers patients’ questions regarding statements and insurance coverage.
- Coordinates referrals for patients through insurance and other physician offices.
- Telephones or writes companies with unpaid insurance claims to obtain settlement of claim. Assists Business Services with claim problems.
- Performs scheduling or rescheduling of appointments. Conducts reminder calls to patients.
- Prepares patient charts and encounter forms for providers. Notifies providers of patient arrival. Performs check-in and checkout of all behavioral health patients.
- Organizes and maintains a filing system for patient charts, including generating chart numbers, filing, and pulling charts.
- Reviews medical records for completeness, assembles records into standard order, and files records in designated areas according to applicable alphanumeric filing systems.
- Operates computer to enter and retrieve data as well as type correspondence and reports.
- Assists other workers with coding of records.
- Posts results of laboratory tests, and other procedures to records.
- Assists with answering the telephone, taking messages or scheduling appointments.
- Prepares all billing in computerized system for processing by finance. Assigns charges for services rendered.
- Collects co-payments and other forms of cash payment from patients and reconcile daily cash reports. Prepares bank deposits as well as distribute daily mail.
- Advise patients of pertinent clinic programs for which they apply.
- Provides patients information regarding social service agencies.
- Prepares monthly provider productivity reports for management.
- Requests and releases confidential information according to established guidelines on confidentiality.
- Cross-trained in all aspects of the Administrative Office to substitute if necessary.
- Participates in Quality Improvement (QI), Quality Assurance (QA) and Continuous Quality Improvement Activities (CQI) as appropriate.
- Other duties as assigned.
High School Diploma or equivalent preferred, one year certificate from college or technical training program for medical office procedures preferred; or three to six months related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience
Must possess the ability to communicate verbally and non-verbally with clients, coworkers and members of management.
Computer Skills: To perform this job successfully, an individual should have knowledge of Word Processing software, NextGen software, Electronic Medical Records software and Spreadsheet design software.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. The position requires mobility. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to use hands to fingers, handle, feel, talk, and hear. The employee is regularly required to walk, sit, stand, kneel, stoop communicate, reach and manipulate objects. The employee must lift and/or move materials up to 10 pounds on regular basis; lift and/or move up to 50 pounds on an occasional. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, and ability to adjust focus. Manual dexterity and coordination are required while operating equipment such as computer keyboard, calculator, and standard office equipment.
The work environment characteristic described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential job functions of this job. Usual office working conditions: noise level in the work area is typical of most office environments with telephones, personal interruptions, background noises.