Peer Wellness Coach (Knoxville)
Summary: provides the My Health, My Choice, My Life initiative within the Cherokee Health Systems service areas to individuals who live with mental illness, substance use disorders and co-occurring disorders. The My Health, My Choice, My Life program consists of coaching activities as well as coordinating the implementation of health and wellness workshop.
Responsibilities: Include the following.
- Implements the goals in Mental Health Planning Regions 2 of the My Health, My Choice, My Life initiative of the Tennessee Department of Mental Health, Office of Consumer Wellness Programs as specified in the Peer Wellness Coach contract as part of the statewide goal to improve the physical health behaviors and physical health status of adult Tennesseans with mental illness, substance use disorders and co-occurring disorders.
- Completes the Chronic Disease Self-Management Program (CDSMP), Diabetes Self-Management Program (DSMP) Peer Wellness Coaching and other health and wellness initiatives training at a date and location to be determined.
- Delivers a variation of health and wellness programs and Peer Wellness Coaching to agency clients.
- Identifies participants who appear to need individualized assistance, whether due to cultural issues, reading difficulties, or disability, and provides the appropriate assistance.
- Provides resources and support to each program participant who identifies as not having an ongoing relationship with a primary care provider.
- Participates in a series of training sessions conducted Office of Consumer Wellness Programs on program evaluation and assessments.
- Administers the specified assessment tools.
- Adheres to the Certified Peer Specialist Code of Ethics.
- Participates in a monthly planning meeting with the Office of Consumer Wellness Programs.
- Participates in Quality Improvement (QI), Quality Assurance (QA) and Continuous Quality Improvement Activities (CQI) as appropriate.
- Other duties as assigned.
Education & Experience:
Bachelor’s degree, a Certified Peer Specialist or ability to become certified within one (1) year of hire. Must be a person with lived experience with mental illness, substance use disorders and/or co-occurring disorders. Must demonstrate a personal commitment to a healthy lifestyle. Experience in providing trainings is desirable. Experience in providing social and recreation activities are desirable. Experience serving people with mental illness and/or co-occurring disorders is desirable.
Must possess the ability to communicate verbally and non-verbally with clients, coworkers, and members of management. Excellent professional customer service skills required.
To perform this job successfully, an individual should have knowledge of Microsoft Office software (Word, Excel, etc).
CHS is an EEO Employer